With the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Council is collaborating with the writers of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and other partner organizations to build the tools and support for the successful implementation of the new standards. The K-12 grade-specific standards in reading, writing, speaking, listening and language define end-of-year expectations that are age appropriate, attainable and are aligned to the College and Career Readiness (CCR) standards.
For the College and Career Readiness Standards and the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Literacy, go to:
Curriculum and Professional Development Resources in English Language Arts and Literacy
Publishers' Criteria for the CCSS in ELA/Literacy
These documents provide criteria for publishers and curriculum developers as they work to ensure alignment of materials in grades K-2 and 3-12 with the Common Core State Standards in English language arts and literacy for history/social studies, science, and technical subjects. By underscoring what matters most in the standards, the criteria illustrate what shifts should take place in the next generation of curricula, including paring away elements that distract or are at odds with the standards.
- http://www.textproject.org- This website provides links to articles, research and tools that address text complexity.
- http://www.readworks.org- This website provides sample lessons for teaching comprehension skills
- http://www.achieve.org - This website describes this organization and provides variety of information on the Common Core initiative including articles, research, Next Generation Assessment activities, links to other related websites and resources.
- http://www.achieve.org/achieving-common-core - The Tri-State Collaborative (comprised of educational leaders from Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island and facilitated by Achieve) has developed rubrics and review processes so that educators may evaluate the quality of lessons and units developed to address the Common Core State Standards for mathematics and ELA/literacy. At the page, click on the “Tools” tab, found half-way down the page
- http://commoncoretools.me- This site contains news about tools that are being developed to support implementation of the Common Core State Standards in mathematics.
- http://www.achievethecore.org- Student Achievement Partners has created this site to support implementation of the Common Core State Standards. It includes the “instructional shifts”, as well as other resources.
- http://www.louisianabelieves.com/resources/library/year-long-scope-sequence- This website provides unit plans that contain a focus for building student knowledge, unit assessments that connect to the unit focus and provide opportunities for students to demonstrate meeting expectations of the grade-level CCSS independently. Daily performance tasks that build toward unit assessments are also provided.